20. 3. 2012

Critics

I haven't seen Cat on a Hot Tin Roof in theatre, that means I'm not going to read the critics about those plays. Doing some research I've found critics about the movie I've already seen. Let's have a look on them and than I would try my best to respond on them.

Browsing the web, I found the critics on NYTIMES. I think this is quite good newspaper and I think they may contain something truthful.

First of all I would like to say that the first review or critic was published in September 19, 1958 by Bosley Crowther. I don't have a clue who Bosley is, but what is interesting is the date. What does it mean? The critic was written after the premiere in the Music Hall.

You should definitely watch the movie. Are you a person who does not like reading? If yes, I would recommend you to watch it. From my side there is no bad film scene. All main characters in the movie are perfect. I should probably tell you who they are, because when you will hear the cast you will want to see it.

CAST: Elizabeth TaylorPaul NewmanBurl IvesJack CarsonJudith Anderson 
Paul Newman-IDOL of women
 




Do you see them, they were the best actors at that time! When I was watching the movie, I was feeling the emotion which I had when I was reading the book. Isn't that great? Normally I have never ever thought that book and movie are the same, because most of the time movies are missing the essence. BUT in the CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF NO!
Lets see, what they wrote in NYTIMES:



"The Fur Flies in 'Cat on a Hot Tin Roof'; Talent Galore Found in Music Hall Film Acting Does Justice to Williams Play" 

"AN all-fired lot of high-powered acting is done in "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof," film version of the Tennessee Williams stage play, which came to the Music Hall yesterday. Burl Ives, Paul Newman, Elizabeth Taylor, Judith Anderson, Jack Carson and two or three more almost work and yell themselves to pieces making this drama of strife within a new-rich Southern family a ferocious and fascinating show." 

"As a straight exercise in spewing venom and flinging dirty linen on a line, this fine Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer production in color would be hard to beat. It is done by superior talents, under the driving direction of Richard Brooks, making even the driest scenes drip poison with that strong, juicy Williams dialogue." 

......and I should continue and continue.....
More you can read on that link

In the book there are parts that highlights the main themes. I bet you will hear them in the movie as well in the book. I highlighted the yellow text (up-critic), and I have nothing to disagree with. 

Maggie: "Living with someone you love can be lonelier-than living entirely alone!--if the one that y' love doesn't love you."
"I feel all the time like a cat on a hot tin roof"
"Because human beings dream of life everlasting, that's the reason! But most of the want it on earth and not in heaven." 
Big Mamma: "Did you make Brick happy in a bed"? 
Brick: "Many happy returns when they know there won't be any.."
"Mendacity is a system that we live in. Liquor is one way out an' death's the other..." 
Big Daddy: "--ALL--LYING SONS OF--LYING BITCHES!" 


....more too write probably 

3 komentáře:

  1. How would you respond to the review? Do you agree with it, is there anything you would argue against, do you think that fifty-five years later it is still apt?

    OdpovědětVymazat
  2. In my opinion in the 1950's they cannot the better movie. Eventhough T.Williams do not like the movie version. It was not easy at that time to tell that somebody is homosexual and this is the reason why they missed the part about homosexuality in the movie. 55 years later it is not apt, becuase in the 21st century people can make more choices about what they can say. It is normal to say "Im a gay", because nobody will punish you for it.

    OdpovědětVymazat